SST Wushu
The Blog for SST's wushu CCA
Monday, November 14, 2011
Wushu Reflection 2011
Please post a reflection of your 2011 performance in the comment section. Your reflection should include the following:

i) Strengths and weaknesses in practicing Wushu with your respective weapons.

ii) How has Wushu mould/change you (mentally and physically) in terms of the school's 10 Cs (e.g., commitment, communication, courage, creativity, etc.)? Discuss.

iii) List down at least one target/plan for next year. (e.g. to perform once at least beyond school, to compete in XXX competition and etc)
18 Comments:
Blogger Yan Jin said...
My strengths in Wushu (in general) is having reasonable flexibility, and being able to learn and remember the moves well. On the other hand, my weaknesses include not being able to ci my dao properly, not doing the moves accurately, not grasping chang tou bo nao properly and not practicing very often.

Wushu has taught me to be more committed, for example be committed to my CCA by turning up punctually for trainings. Wushu has also taught me to be more confident and courageous, as through performances and competitions, we were given opportunities to be on stage or the competition carpet and perform.

I hope to be able to perform both in school events and to the public, and hopefully get the top 3 positions in the Dao 2nd International Wushu Competition next year.

Blogger Joshua Loh said...
My weaknesses are that my moves are not very accurate and lack the rhythm associated with the different routines. This is not so bad when I do routines that do not require my dao. I also do not practise much at home. I feel that my other aspects in wushu are average and don’t really count as strengths.
It made me more confident whenever I had to go for wushu assessment tests and performances so that I do better the more times I did them. I was also more committed in my work as I was required to actively participate in wushu events, attend every training session punctually and perform my moves properly.
I am not sure what competitions I am able to compete in next year but I hope I am able to at least compete once in a national competition.

Blogger Preston said...
I am generally improving on my moves when practicing with my dao, and able to regulate my own speed and steps to accommodate the whole team. But at some points of the routine I still lack the speed to finish the move. I would also need to improve on my dao hua as it is not really smooth.
Wushu has taught me to be strong mentally, otherwise you would not be able to advance in Wushu. You must have commitment for wushu, otherwise you would see no point in going for wushu lessons and advancing up to learn more Wushu moves. Wushu has also taught me to have more confidence when practicing my routine or in whatever I do. As a team, you must also communicate with your team properly or the routine would not go according to plan.
I do hope to win something for the school next year when participating in the national Wushu competition, and maybe perform in public again.

Blogger DNL said...
My strengths in practicing my 枪 is that I can get the rhythm right most of the time. My weakness is that I do not have enough strength to hold it for a long period of time in some positions and use the appropriate amount of strength in some movements. I am also not very good at memorising them either, but i have been improving.

Wushu has made me more committed. I would practice my moves more often and always put in 100% concentration during Wushu lessons. I have also become more confident after learning Wushu through an assessment test and performances.

I hope to compete in a competition next year.

Ding Nina Lin

Blogger weiqin said...
Personally, I don't think I have any strengths as my performance has always been average. As for weaknesses, I realise I have problems with memorising the steps and not having enough strength to 'control' my dao properly which causes my movements to be inaccurate.

I think Wushu has taught me to be more committed as we often have to concentrate when we practice in order to master the different movements.

I hope to take part in a competition next year to gain experience.

Blogger Isabella Goh said...
My strengths include being able to kick fairly high, being able to do most of the kicks properly, and also some of the routines like 五步拳, 基本拳, etc.
My weaknesses are not being able to do my current sword routine properly (I always without fail loe control somewhere) which I will need to improve on, and that I am also not very flexible.

Wushu has definitely taught me to be more disciplined, to have more self control and gave me more confidence.

I hope to take part in the 2012 Inter-school Wushu Competition next year, showcasing my 1st International Sword Routine next year.

Blogger Lionel Lim said...
My strengths are in stamina, and being a bit more flexible than others. Though I am able to grasp the rhythm of the routine well, I often find myself unable to move with the speed of the rhythm of the routine. Whenever I do not perform any routine or even stances in wushu properly, I would punish myself by repeating the same movements again and again until I am satisfied with my own performance, though I am not sure if this would count as a strength or weakness. Practicing with my weapon has enlarged my awareness of the space around me, as I know that if I were to miscalculate the direction at which my dao swings at, I could very well injure someone.
Learning any kind of martial arts would, in one way or another make you disciplined, plus it would take commitment to excel in them, but wushu has taught me something more, and that is courage. Experiencing pain is something rather unavoidable in wushu. In my experience, there are many times I have experienced pain but have also unintentionally exaggerated it frequently. For me, courage is facing that pain as it is and not exaggerate it.
I hope to learn the routines of other weapons, improve the mastery of the weapons that I am training with and take part in competitions next year.

Blogger Marcus Loh said...
Overall, since the beginning of this year, I would say that I have improved substantially not only in my dao but also in other techniques. I would also like to thank my seniors for coaching me in Dao.

My weaknesses would include stability and endurance as I would tend to tilt to one sight after some jumps. Besides that, I also need to increase my endurance for my Dao as the routine is very exhausting. So I have to increase my speed too when Praticing with my seniors.

I sincerely hope that I would be able to learn more next year and hopefully use this CCA to help me in a part of my healthy lifestyle.

Blogger liewws said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger liewws said...
My weaknesses in practicing Wushu with my sword are my slow learning and lack of strength. I usually require a longer time to practice the moves that I learnt before I can remember them. My lack of strength causes me to fail at thrusting my sword properly.

Wushu has changed me to be more committed because I have to practice more to remember and improve myself on doing the moves that I learnt. Wushu also improved my communication skills and courage because I have to ask my friends about the parts that I am not sure.

I hope that there would be a chance for me to perform outside the school next year.

Wei Siew

Blogger Khim Tan said...
I feel that my strengths in Wushu is that i have been learning it for a few years now and I am used to the style of Wushu. Hence, it is easier for me to learn routines and other moves. Also, because I have been training for a few years, 教练 has given me a few chances to help my juniors and peers. This has given me helped me in my own training too.

However, due to having a number of injuries, I have not been training much. Hence, my stamina has decreased which causes me to feel tired easily in the middle of a routine.

Wushu has made me more committed, more disciplined and more confident. Wushu has also helped me train my stamina, flexibility, balance and a lot more.

I hope to do the school proud in any competition I take part in next year.

Khim Tan

Blogger Peng Kang Xiong said...
My weakness is that my skills are not good enough, resulting in learning lesser things. My stamina and flexibility are also not good so I hope to improve on those

Wushu has made me more focused as we need to concentrate in order to do the routines well.

I hope that I will be able to perform outside of school.

Blogger Jun Jie Yeo said...
I find that my strength while wielding my weapon, is that I am able to wield my weapon with enough strength, giving myself a more rugged look while performing the routine. I believe my weakness is that I am not flexible enough and thus i am unable to execute my routines properly.

Wushu has taught me to persevere under hardship and not be weak when confronted with challenges. Wushu has also taught me to be committed to something, for example: learning a new routine.

I plan to volunteer in performances if there are any, and strive hard to be selected for the next upcoming competitions.

Blogger t.jianhui said...
i) Firstly I believe that, in our respective weapons, all of us have made significant improvements, especially our junior teammates. Individual-wise, I am of the opinion that many refinements await us, in terms of, for example, 眼神,站姿,动作要做完,等等。 Particularly, I am participating in Group Category for Broad-sword routine, and it’s peculiar to be very precise about synchronization. So a lot of improvements lie ahead of us, before we can put up a spectacular performance. However, I have confidence that we will be able to make ourselves a force to be reckoned with in competitions.

ii) Wushu, itself, is a sport that requires exceptional discipline. Therefore with regards to adapting mentally and physically to such sport will change one’s dispositions, like commitment, courage, confidence.

iii) A target for next year, as I see it, will be able to give the best we have for the National Competition, that should be on our minds. We must neither underestimate nor overestimate our contenders. But we must realise, at the end of the day, it’s not about victory that matters, it’s the passion and love of the sport.

Blogger Ng Carven said...
I think my strengths are that i am quite flexible and i can use my weapon relatively well, my weaknesses is that i might not remember the steps for the routine i am learning properly and sometimes i am unable to complete the step that jiao lian asks me to do. And i have to work harder to make sure that my routine improves.

Wushu has made me more committed as well as responsible as i have to be responsible for my own weapon and i am more committed to the CCA and sport. And i have to concentrate to practice my routine properly.

My goal is to compete in the dao competition as well as the gui ding quan competition and get good results for the school.

Blogger daniel tan said...
As of 2011, I feel that my strengths are that I am pretty flexible and and a decent stamina which allows me to do most of the warm up and cool downs with relative ease. However I also have a number of weaknesses, one being my lack of communication skills with the coach and my slowness in learning the routines we are taught. I have to practice on a daily basis and to improve my Chinese in order to reduce my weaknesses.

I think that I wushu has improved me in terms of commitment in relation to the 10c's as I feel that wushu is not only a cca but is also a sport and a commitment to improve myself metally and physically.

My goal is to be able to learn the Chang quan and to be able to perfect some of the gymnastics in wushu like the ce kong fan(no handed cartwheel) by this year

Blogger Roy Chua said...
i) I feel that my strengths when practising wushu with the Dao is that I am able to move into positions well when practising my routine, as well as being able to perform the routine with force. I feel that I am also able to 刺刀 well, as well as being able to use my Dao confidently. As a part of 集体刀, I feel that I am getting better at following everyone else’s movements, allowing the group to be more coordinated. I also feel that due to us learning the same routine for a longer period of time, I are able to remember our moves well, and are able to adapt to changes relatively quickly.

However I feel that my stamina is not as high, as I feel more tired after some practising. Due to this, I am not able to hold my pose well when practising. I also feel that whenever I am practising my 刀花, if I were to continue for too fast, my grip on the Dao would start to slip.

ii) I feel that through wushu, I am more confident when performing, allowing myself to perform my routines without having to think twice about my routine. As a part of 集体刀, I have learnt much about communication to allow myself to play my part to adjust my speed with the group’s when performing. Furthermore, wushu has also taught me to be committed to practising during CCA as we are needed to know our routine very well when performing.

iii) For 2012, one target that I have set for myself is to try to practise at home more often. Another target is to be able to remember my routine very well before competitions. As a group, I hope 集体刀 is able to practise together as 6 people more often, in order to have everyone keep to the group’s speed when performing.

Blogger Taylor Tay said...
Sorry for posting so late..

i) I feel that my strengths in Wushu are being able to endure long timings of stretching and being able to Ci the sword properly. Also, my stamina whilst practicing is continuous. However, I seem to not be able to learn the moves quickly, and that results in being unable to execute the moves properly. I believe I will need to practice more and learn more quickly to be able to achieve better in Wushu.

ii) Wushu has made me more committed in my own actions and be more committed to the CCA and sport. And, it has given me the courage to strive for any goals.

iii) In 2012, I would try to learn the routines quicker, and practice more at home. I hope that this would make me be able to improve drastically in Wushu, and strive in competitions in the near future.

Post a Comment