SST Wushu
The Blog for SST's wushu CCA
Thursday, April 14, 2011
My Personal Reflection
Write a short Personal Reflection of your CCA in the 'Comments' section (e.g., weekly trainings, performance, competition, etc.). Minimum 100 words.


Example 1

I think the most valuable lesson I have learnt was when learning new moves. Every time we had the chance to try out different moves, we immerse ourselves in different experiences. It was hard to take up Wushu in the beginning, but with the encouragement our teachers-in-charge and coach gave us, and the perseverance we have within us, nothing is impossible. More importantly, I got to realise that the school values commitment, courage and confidence applies not only to CCA but also in our daily lives.

Example 2

Wushu is a CCA that has helped me a lot by giving me a chance to realise my true potential in martial arts. Through Wushu, I get to meet new friends. We have our practice sessions on every Wednesday and Friday. Wushu has also trained my sense of responsibility. I’ve learned to take care of my weapon and to be punctual for my practice sessions. If I were to be given the opportunity, I would like to lead the Wushu team to a greater height.

Mr Low
20 Comments:
Blogger Lionel Lim said...
The performance was an eye-opener for me as I realized how high the wushu standards are supposed to be. Learning new moves can be tough though, it is hard to see what the coach is doing and know what you are doing at the same time, and if you are just mimicking the coach's moves, you will not remember how to do it. There is a sliver lining in every dark cloud, and it goes the same for wushu. Wushu is like a combination of all sports cca in sst, and constantly trains our fitness. For example, in cross-country, the students run a lot, but in wushu, we run quite a bit too. The very basic values to train wushu is commitment, and not to be so afraid to to try out the moves. If one is not committed to train, no matter how much different kind of moves one learns, one would not be able to execute them well. If one is fearful that he/she does the moves wrong or scared of even doing the moves, then he//she will not be able to progress in wushu at all.

Blogger Taylor Tay said...
Training is so far i think OK, a bit stressful after the competition but still can cope. The new moves are seriously tough and the running i can barely cope because of my flat-footedness. I cannot follow the coach well because i kind of screw up in my moves everytime. But just like what Lionel said as above, "There's a silver lining in every cloud" who knows, one day I might just become someone who has a name for himself in the wushu world. I know that as compared with other coaches from other schools, jiao lian is quite light on us. So i try to think of that everytime i try something hard or "painful". I think that the running part of wushu is almost cross-country and we run quite a lot.

Blogger liewws said...
I think that the stretching exercises are useful to help me score higher in the NAPFA sit and reach. In my opinion, it is difficult to learn new moves but, with the help of other students, both the secondary ones and secondary twos, it has become easier to remember the moves taught by the coach. I have also learned that when we go for competitions, we have to behave ourselves. We should only do things that require some thinking and when we bring our weapons home, our faces should not be seen on stomp and we should not eat sandwiches on the MRT.
Liew Wei Siew

Blogger Yan Jin said...
For the normal trainings, I think they are manageable, just that it required a little more physical training and we need to work harder. It is also mentally that we need to concentrate, do our best and be focused and self-disciplined. For the performances, I think it is a chance for us to showcase our potentials, and give us stage experience to prepare us for the competition. For the competition, it is a shock to see all the other participants there. They are amazing and extraordinarily good compared to me. I thought I could have done better, as at that time I was not used to the carpet, I felt nervous and I was not given the chance to practice with the sword before the competition.

Yan Jin

Blogger Joshua Loh said...
Learning wushu helps me to appreciate my life more by having to endure through tough trainings. I have a much better understanding of wushu after going through a year of training and the wushu competition. During the competition, we saw that many other of the competitors are so much better than us. However, this is good as it will motivate us to do better in the future.
Every time we go for a wushu lesson, we will be bound to experience some pain through stretching, accidentally cutting yourself, etc. or feeling exhausted through running around the school, doing push-ups, sit-ups, etc but this would be considered very light compared to other trainings in other schools. I use that sometimes to try to make myself feel less tired or ignore the pain.
I think we must not rest to much or drink to much water during breaks as this will be bad for our wellbeing as doing a lot of vigorous exercise, then suddenly drinking and resting too much before continuing with the exercise will harm ourselves.

Blogger Ng Carven said...
From my point of view, the trainings before the seniors competition was okay, but after their competition, coach was a little more strict with us and the sets of movements he taught us was more physically challenging as they were longer and with more difficult movements. Wushu has also made me more flexible and let me do better in my other activities. The training also cannot be done without our concentration or focus which i lack sometimes, making it more difficult for me to learn some steps or movements. Wushu also made me be more responsible as i know i have to be punctual for my trainings and be responsible for bringing my shoes.

Blogger Preston said...
So far wushu has made me more confident and to be passionate about things which I want to pursue. If you are participating in an event or doing a school project, you have to put in your best effort to complete it. Have the passion to do someyhing you like. The wushu training has been tough before the competition, as we have to be prepared for the competition. If we are not passionate about wushu, we would not be able to even compete in competitions. Being able to participate in competitions means that we have reached the level where we are able to endure tough training, be passionate about wushu, and able to undestand why we are doing this. Also it has taught me more about responsibility, to be able to practice often so we do not forget our routines, to be punctual for any event or meeting, and to always remember to bring our equipment and to take care of them properly.

Preston

Blogger t.jianhui said...
I personally feel that Wushu has changed, with the new addition of juniors, it has definitely become more active and interesting. This will certainly reinforce our future performances and I really hope that the juniors can continue to spur themselves to advance and persevere. Seeing so many tough competitors at the competition, it inspired me to further improve myself in order to catch up and hopefully get a chance to represent the school at the medal presentation ceremony. Especially after witnessing how some of my primary school friends (who already had Wushu as their primary school CCA) fare, I am even more motivated to do well. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

Blogger Khim Tan said...
Wushu helps me in my physical training and also builds up my self discipline. Although the trainings can be tiring, it trains our stamina. Having wushu as a CCA allows me to make new friends. We would help each other with the movements if we had doubts. However, I feel that we should concentrate more during our CCA sessions. Performances and competitions help us gain more confidence and experience. During training, competitions and performances, we should really do the movements to the best of our abilities! :) We should not let our teachers, coach and teammates down. I believe that with more hard work and determination, the whole team would excel in many different ways. ^^

Khim

Blogger DNL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger DNL said...
Ever since I came to Wushu, I learnt many new things and understood the culture inside a Wushu team and how it really works. I feel that Wushu has really improved my stamina and strength dramatically. Despite the fact that some of the exercises can be really challenging and some could be very difficult, they have really toughened me up. The members in Wushu team always cheer me up. What I learned has really trained me not only physically, but most importantly, mentally. I will strive for the best and try to become better in whatever I do too. I hope one day I can truly understand the spirit of Wushu.

-Nina

Blogger Peng Kang Xiong said...
When I first saw the seniors practicing, I thought that this CCA Would be tiring and also boring. However, while I was correct about it being tiring, it was not in the least bit boring. It is actually quite fun. I think the stretching exercises can help me to train for my NAPFA as well. The exercises have also made me fitter and I have gotten to know the seniors better and so it increases the fun of the CCA.
On the whole, I hope that Wushu will make me fitter and also provide me with fun

Blogger Roy Chua said...
Roy

I feel that Wushu has helped me to improve me physically as well as mentally during the various trainings. Wushu has helped me to be able to do much better for my NAPFA stations in terms of stamina. Wushu has also helped me to learn self-discipline and to be able to focus myself on a task. After watching the wushu competition, I now know the difference in standards between my standard and better performers. This can help me to be able to aim for a clear goal to achieve for during wushu, by knowing how well I have to perform in order to do well in the competition.

Blogger daniel tan said...
I feel that Wushu is not only a performance art but it also and more importantly teaches me self discipline. I have been in Wushu for a year now and I have not regretted join it. It has made me more flexible, stronger(mentally and physically), these can help me do well for Napfa. For the competition, despite getting below average marks, I feel that I did my best and I think this competition was an eye opener to me as it showed me that there were many people who are better than me and this has encouraged me to improve myself.This has also helped me gain confidence while performing in front of audiences.

Blogger KAICHEK said...
I feel that wushu has help me increase my stamina. However i still need to improve on my running as i easily tire from running. Training for the wushu competition has given me much valuable insight as to how difficult it is to train and master a routine for a competition. It has also served as an eye opener as to the other wushu practitioners in terms of their skill. After training for the competition it has given me a new found appreciation towards this martial art in terms of the amount of time needed to be put in in order to master the routines.

Blogger Isabella Goh said...
The competition was really an eye-opener for me. I learn that there are people who score high marks in Wushu because they have a lot of training (long hours, like 4 days a week, 4 hours each day) and also hardworking. I also learnt that there are also people who are not very good, like those who get low marks because they didn't do their gong bu and ma bu properly. Performances are part of Wushu, and i feel that it is fun and meaningful as we can showcase to our schoolmates what we have learnt so far in SST, Wushu.

Blogger weiqin said...
I think Wushu is a kind of performing arts and a sport that also teaches one self-discipline. It can train you both mentally and physically. I learnt that we must concentrate in whatever we do so that we are able to give our best. I have also become more fit from the continuous training given by jiao lian. I feel that I should work harder as my stamina is still not as good and I feel that I still need to work on some basics. Overall I don't regret joining Wushu and I am proud of the SST Wushu team.

Blogger Marcus Loh said...
I feel that Wushu has helped me to be fitter in many ways. (example: stamina) To me, the new technique that coach is currently teaching has a high level of difficulty. I have went to two Wushu competitions and it has been an eye opener for me. RIght now, I know that we (sec ones) have to improve and master out basic skills in order to do well in our future competitions.However, I get fatigue easily after a certain period of time. I hope that through this cca, I can have a healthier lifestyle and increase my fitness for my coming NAFPA test.

Blogger Jun Jie Yeo said...
Wushu, to me is a form of exercise that allows me to train my physical fitness and flexibility. Although training may be tiring, it is very worth it as i am more flexible than when i first joined wushu. As for weapons, it has allowed me to be exposed to more routines and techniques. Wushu also makes me more confident, as I am performing in front of an audience. This helps me as in SST, we are trained to present infront of audiences. Also, in non-school context, I play the electone in concerts and competition. Wushu helps me to gain Confidence in that field as well. Competition-wise, it has been a new experience for me as I have not seen many Wushu competitions and this is the second. The first one was an international competition and the feeling is much more different from the recent inter-school competition. I will train harder so that I am able to take part in the competition next year

Blogger matthewwong said...
When i first experienced wushu,i thought it as a exercise than when i did it,would cause a lot of pain.But after a few months,I found out that wushu is actually very fun!Even though learning the new moves are difficult,mastering them gives me a sense of accomplishment,and even though i need to suffer a little bit to master these moves,I feel that it is worth it.I also thought that the seniors were very good,among the best of the best,but after seeing the competition,I found out that they were only"little fish in a big pond".
Overall,I think wushu is very fun and challenging.

Post a Comment