Please post a reflection of your performance so far in the comment section. Your reflection should include the strengths and weaknesses in practicing Wushu (e.g., with your respective weapons), and mention your ambitions for next year trainings and competitions.
The future depends on what we do in the present. -
Mahatma Gandhi
I have been learning wushu for about 6 months now, and so far, I have been training a lot. I have learnt more routines, new skills, and even using weapon. Even though I have not got my broad sword yet, 教练 has taught us how to handle it, how it is properly used, and some routines to go with it. The training was tiring and vigorous, but in the end, we have picked up a very important skill in wushu and it would bring us all the way to the competitions. But off course, handling a weapon is very dangerous, and it requires responsibility. If we misuse it, we could injure others or even possibly kill! And our friends and teachers would not trust us anymore. That’s why we need to be careful and to be responsible when we have a weapon.
When training with my ‘weapon’, I realize that I could not twist and turn my wrists properly, thereby the sword would not turn properly. I could improve on this by practicing more and asking for my friends’ help. Also, my advantage is that I learn fast. So even if I miss out on one lesson, I could easily catch up on the next lesson. I feel that this advantage is very important as if I need to go for competitions in about a month’s time, I need to learn fast and practice even more.
In the future, I would expect even more vigorous training and some leadership from our cohort as the new batch of students are arriving next year. Also, I would like to represent our school in national and international competitions. This in turn, comes with even more training, and I do not think I could take it. So I would have to manage my own time and training.
Overall, the training in wushu was fun, interesting, and throughout all of this, we get to learn many new skills that our other friends would not know.
The strengths that I have is quickly adapting to the sword and getting used to it. Also, I learn what the coach teaches me fast, and I can remember the steps easier. The weaknesses that I have is that I might not live up to the coach’s expectations. Also, sometimes, because I am too tired from the long routine, at the end I will tend to do badly. I would have to work on these.
I hope that next year I would be able to represent the school in Wushu for more competitions. For next year’s training, I would like to learn more routines for the sword.
Yan Jin
I have been learning Wushu in SST for six months already, and I started learning Wushu five years ago. Through these years, I developed strengths, and also worked on some weaknesses. Learning wushu from another coach helps me a lot as the other coach can identify more of my weaknesses and strengths. One of my strengths are that I learnt the routines a few years back so I know the movements quite well. However, I need to work on the basics as I make minor mistakes in the basics. I have generally gotten the movements correct. In the future, I wish to participate in Wushu competitions and if possible, compete against my team mates so we can gain more experience.
I have been learning Wushu for about 4-5 months already and I now have my weapon - the sword. My body is actually rather weak, and moreover my sword is the hardest to “ci” among the girls’ swords as it is the tightest, however jiao lian still has high expectations of me making loud and shrill sounds each time I “ci” jian. I think it is for my own good anyway, because I will have to participate in Wushu competitions in the future and in those competitions I will need to make the sword sound in every movement I make. Therefore I will need to build up on my strength. I am also the worst in Wushu and the weakest in terms of stamina among us girls in Wushu. I am willing an ready to buck up and start training hard to improve on those areas.
My strength is that I can easily remember the routines and I learn quite fast.
I would like to participate in Wushu competitions in the future, and if possible next year, with my sword.
As what Mr Mahatma Gandhi has said, “The future depends on what we do in the present.”
I strongly believe in this saying; what I do now will definitely affect the future. Therefore in order to get an award in a competition, we need to start practising hard now and prepare ourselves, for there will be other schools who have experience in competitions.
I have been learning wushu in SST for 6 months now. Through the six months, I have learnt many different kinds of routines and exercises, and now learning the routines of the broadsword. Although I did not receive my weapon yet, but 教练 made me go through the routines with a pretense broadsword, an imaginary one. If I get lucky, I might even get to borrow one of the sheaths to practice as an fake broadsword. For the routines of the broadsword, I just need to practice it a few times to get it right. This is my advantage. But sometimes I practice it either with little strength and speed, or with lots of speed but no strength or vice versa. If there is a routine that is really confusing, I will be able to get it right the next lesson. This advantage would come in handy for the competition, as I will need to learn the routines fast, and therefore, will have more time to train the routines. The fact that I have not gotten a broadsword puts me at a disadvantage, as the real broadsword will be much heavier than my imaginary one, and will need some time in getting used the extra weight. Although my wushu members may think that I am better at them at something, but I still think I have room for improvement, and so do the rest of the wushu members. I would like to participate in a wushu competition in the future. It does not matter if I get a medal or not, its the participation that counts,and I would get to know how it feels like to be in a wushu competition. Even though I know that its the participation that counts, I will still put in my very best to get a medal.
I have been learning wushu for about 6 months already. Although the Daos haven’t arrived yet, I am trying my best to practise whenever I can without the Dao or borrowed Jian covers. However this would not be the same as to practise with the Dao as the weight of the Dao would affect how straight my arm would be. I feel that my weakness is that I might be unprepared for the weight of my hand and would need to adapt to it as I have never seen a real Dao before, not to mention hold one. I feel that I can pick up the moves of the routine taught to me so far, although it was hard to learn it quickly at first glance. But after remembering the moves, I am able to remember them easily. I hope to be able to wield the Dao properly as I was not used to the weight of the Jian when I got the chance to use it for awhile. I also hope to be able to pick up the routines faster and be able to enter competitions.
After practising wushu for about 6 months, I have grasped the basics and started on weapon arts. I am currently using the dao, or broadsword. Currently, I have to use a sword cover as it has not arrived. Using the cover is quite hard as it wasn't flexible and I had problems stabbing the sword cover. After some practice, coach taught me 四段刀,and i had some problems. However, with practice, I managed to grasp the moves and execute them with ease. In future, I hope that I can represent SST in competitions and perform in performances like racial harmony day concert and even in performances where the whole nation can see us perform