SST Wushu
The Blog for SST's wushu CCA
Friday, July 2, 2010
WUSHU GRADING
Here's your first Wushu Grading for 2010 Semester One. Congratulations to those who have done well. Please post a reflection of your performance during the test in the comment section. Your reflection should include the strengths and weaknesses in each category, and how you are going to overcome these weaknesses (e.g., speed, strength, stability, etc).

Note: Please use scholarly language with no spelling or grammatical errors. Avoid slang or casual conversational writing.

16 Comments:
Blogger t.jianhui said...
For the basic kicking, I feel that my weakness is that I am not stable when I do the moves. Through practice I will be able to improve my stability. For the combination, I feel that I have done well. Reason is because I practice at home and I feel that practising really does help me to remember the moves. For the routine part, I feel that I did fairly well for it, because I practise at home but I feel that I do not have enough strength for all three categories. Besides doing the actions correctly, strength is a very important factor that the coach keeps on stressing. In order to perfect all three factors (speed, stability, strength), a lot of effort must be put in. I hope that I can at least try perfecting my strength.

Blogger Yan Jin said...
For the different kicks, I was rather weak in wai bai and li he. I find it hard to balance when doing those, and think my weakness is more of stability than strength. For the combinations, I thought I did rather well. I was able to stabilize myself more. For the routines, I need to work more on stability too and be more familiar with the steps. Halfway through ji ben quan I paused because I forgot the moves.

Blogger Khim Tan said...
For the basic kicks, I was weak in the "hou sao" (后扫) as I lost my balance. However, I think I did well for the rest of the kicks. For the combinations, I think I did rather well. But I kept losing my balance and I did not use much strength. As for the short routines, I think I need to work on my stability. Overall, I think my strengths are in my kicks and my main weakness is stability. I plan to overcome my weaknesses by practicing more often.

Khim Tan (:

Blogger Preston said...
Preston
For the basic kicks, I need to improve on my balance as I have difficulty trying to balance when doing some of the kicks, especially the 'wai bai tui' 外摆腿. I would probably do some balance exercises at home so that I could balance myself on one feet. For the combinations, I think I did quite well as I did it quite smoothly and with 'feelings'. For the short routines, I need to work on my balance again as I have trouble balancing on one feet. Overall, I think I could have done better in the test by practicing more on my stability.

Blogger Lionel Lim said...
I was very unstable during some of the kicks.For the back sweep (后扫),I could not do one complete circle and lost my balance.When practicing the moves, I could not immediately sink into the stance, that I was supposed to do. One of the reasons that I scored lower than I expected is that I was too nervous during the test. One of my friends (in wushu) told me that my performance had dropped a lot. I think I would need to practice more wushu at home, and try not to be too nervous during the test next time. I would need to work on my stability and strength when practicing wushu

Blogger Alpha Chua said...
Basically, I was not good at everything in wushu. My stability was very bad as i could not do the stances properly without losing my balance, and embarrassing myself. For my speed, I do not look very graceful because I am "Big-Sized" and stubby, which makes me look very clumsy, as I am. For my strength, I am also not very good at it because I do not hit very hard at punches, and the coach says I am like some sort of a thief trying to steal things. To solve all these problems, I will practice my wushu more often, and do my best to slim down.

Blogger Alpha Chua said...
For wushu, I am basically bad at almost everything. My kicks, my sets and stretching are all very weak. For my speed, I am not very good at it because of my big-size and my clumsiness. For my strength, I am also not very good at it because the coach says I do my punches like a thief trying to steal something. For my stability, I am not very stable as for many of the balance-based moves, I always lose my balance. Overall, to improve my wushu, I should practice it more often at home, and do my best lose weight so that i can be more stable.

Blogger Roy Chua said...
As I was the first person to do the test, I did not know what to expect, making me quite nervous. When I was doing the test, I panicked and got moves from 'wu bu quan', 'ji ben quan' and 'chuang zhang' mixed up, making me have to pause for a while to remember correctly. This can be corrected when I eventually participate in more competitions and gain more confidence. I feel that I was weak in 'hou sao', as I was not able to complete a full circle during the test and my movements in 'hou sao' was not as smooth. I also needed to practice my kicks as those were my weakest. I need to improve on my speed as I became slower because of my nervousness making my brain remember slower. I can overcome this by practicing more at home and trying to overcome my stage-fright.

Blogger Joshua Loh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Joshua Loh said...
My weaknesses are that I sometimes forget the moves all of a sudden and I am not strong and stable so I tilt a lot when I move too quickly. I was not really nervous during the test but I did forget some things which may be due to the fact that I did not practise enough during the holidays. I will try to remind myself by pasting stickies on my study table or by some other method. I may want to do some daily push-ups or do some qigong to strengthen myself. In the process, I can also just do some stretching as I am not flexible enough to do certain moves.

Joshua Loh

Blogger daniel tan said...
I think I deserved the marks I got for Wushu. Though I may seem to have many excuses why I got very low for my test, like having chicken pox or not being able to go for the CCA due to briefings on the Shunde trip or the science competition, I feel that these excuses are invalid as I could have spent more time practicing on the moves that was taught during my absence or those that I have learnt. I think that I will practice more in the future and hopefully get more marks for any future Wushu test

Blogger Jun Jie Yeo said...
I felt that I did not do well during the part where I have to do some mini-routines as I kept messing up with the direction of the movements and did not get a good grade. For kicking, I feel that I cannot kick high and get better grades for kicking. For the routines, I felt that I did not do well when it came to speed and I was doing the movements quite slowly. I feel that I deserved the marks as I did not really practice much as I did not have much space at home. I feel that I can Improve on more components

Blogger KAICHEK said...
I feel that i did not do very well in the routines as i forgot some of the parts and hesitated. The speed was a little slow when i was doing my routines because i forgot some of the parts . As for my Basic kicks i feel that i did not kick high enough and my body was not straight. I also feel that i am not very stable as i tend to wobble a little when doing the basic kicks

Blogger Isabella Goh said...
I think that my score was quite alright, although I really can improve a lot more on my routines. My kicks are quite ok too, but I really think that there is still room for improvement. The short routines are not really good, but I feel that there is a lot of room for improvement. I will try to improve as much as I can and put in my best effort in everything the instructor teaches us to do. I think that as long as I relax my shoulders a bit, I will be much better, and if I use a bit more strength, I will be even better.Overall, I really can improve a lot more.

Blogger Lionel Lim said...
I think that I was unstable in kicks and unable to get into stances immediately,as supposed to. I think that I had scored lower than what I had expected. I would need to improve on my strength and stability in wushu. I would need to practice wushu at home.I know that if I work harder, there is always room for improvement

Blogger Wei Jun said...
For wushu, I think I need to improve on my wushu stances. The reason I barely passed my wushu was because at that time, I was very nervous, as the teachers were staring at me.
Actually, I also have to learn how to be able to focus and differentiate, one move to another. I learnt that although I may not have passed this test as well as I thought I would, I will have to strive harder to achieve better results.
If there will be another test, I will train myself harder so as to be able to live up to my expectations.

Wei Jun

Post a Comment